DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – The number of Filipinos who died of COVID-19 in the United Arab Emirates has gone up to 27.
Philippine Consul General Paul Raymund Cortes said that as of Friday, May 8, a total of 23 Filipinos died of the coronavirus disease in Dubai alone – higher than the 17 deaths in the city reported by Ambassador Hjayceelyn Quintana on Wednesday, May 6.
Quintina had also reported on Wednesday that there were 4 Filipinos who died of COVID-19 in Abu Dhabi.
The latest deaths among OFWs in Dubai and the unchanged number of coronavirus deaths in Abu Dhabi brought the total to 27 as Friday.
Cortes also said they have been receiving “quite a number” of calls from OFWs seeking help after finding out that they have COVID-19. The consulate coordinates these cases with Dubai police and health authorities.
The OFWs are fetched from their residences and transferred to a hospital. At the same time, contact tracing is done, Cortes said.
Among those who died recently in Abu Dhabi was Engineer Ronald Ruiz, according to Engineer Jeremy Carrido Diola, president of the Philippine Society of Civil Engineers in the UAE. The family of Ruiz had been informed about his death, he said.